Newcastle have landed a major boost in our efforts to acquire Vasco da Gama striker Marrony, as UOL Esporte understand his Brazilian Serie A side intend to sell the forward before the end of the year.
A move by United has been widely speculated in the Brazilian media since Head of Recruitment Steve Nickson observed the forward in action earlier in the summer, when it was noted that his side would consider selling him for less than his €35million (£32.1m) release clause.
Nickson’s reports are alleged to have been glowing with positive remarks regarding the unproven 20-year-old, also attracting interest from FC Porto, Sporting CP and other unnamed sides.
While it was not specified how low Vasco were willing to go, it has now been noted by UOL that the Brazilian Serie A outfit would accept offers in the region of R$50million (£10.8m) for their 70% share in the player.
This is an even-more reduced fee than the Brazilian variant of Yahoo reported recently, when it was suggested Vasco would request €13m (£11.9m) for their shares, in a deal which could reach €18.5m (£16.5m) in order to obtain 100 per cent of Marrony’s rights.
Vasco need to sell their prized attacking asset due to a necessity to adjust the club’s cash flow toward a positive direction, but are yet to receive any offers for the transfer-listed striker.
Marrony has commented on the speculation regarding his future, noting that he would consider any approach if one is put to him.
“I talked to my representatives yesterday and today, and nothing has come,” he said. “But, if it comes and it’s good for me and Vasco, then it’s their will [to sell].
“I follow the thought here, and just think about helping Vasco.”
Marrony was in action for Vasco against Palmeiras on Saturday, scoring the opening goal of a one-all draw.
Sporting CP are said to be hopeful that their strong relationship with Vasco will stand them in good stead in any potential negotiations, after facilitating the free transfer of Bruno Cesar to the Brazilian side last season.