Newcastle striker Elias Sorensen has conceded his Tyneside future is ‘not really in my hands’ following a late call-up to United’s tour of Asia, as quoted by The Shields Gazette.
The 19-year-old centre-forward was set to stay with the Under 23s in Spain while the first-team flew out to the Far East, but Joselu’s departure for Deportivo Alaves presented the Denmark youth international with a vacant seat on the plane.
It was the chance he had been longing for after being told his immediate future would not be with the senior set-up, and would feature for United against Wolverhampton Wanderers during the Premier League Asia Trophy defeat in Nanjing, China.
Sorensen followed his substitute appearance against Wolves with a starting role against West Ham United, but squandered an early chance as he blazed his effort over the bar following an Isaac Hayden cross.
With his family watching in Denmark, and the shadows of a torrid loan spell with Blackpool still lurking, the 6 ft 2 ace was left disconsolate on the field, and knows he had to take his chance when it came.
“Probably, I should have scored,” he said, reflecting on a surprise call-up to the first-team. “So I’m a bit gutted about that, but you can’t dwell on that for too long, you just have to get on with it.
“Hopefully, I’ll score the next one.
“I never thought a year ago I’d be able to play for the first-team at 19-years-old, so I’m absolutely over the moon. It’s been a bit of a rollercoaster.
“Obviously, I went to Spain with the Under 23s [as] I wasn’t down to come to China, but then Joselu went away, so I got the call the day before. I’m over the moon to get my debut. Hopefully, I’ll push on from here.”
While Joselu’s exit has opened the door for further first-team opportunities, Sorensen conceded he does not yet know where he stands in Steve Bruce’s plans.
“I’ll just wait and see what the gaffer wants me to do,” he added. “It’s not really in my hands.”
While Bruce contemplates how to get the most out of Sorensen, Sky Sports understand the former Sheffield Wednesday boss is considering a move for Southampton forward Charlie Austin.
The ex-QPR hitman has been cast into the wilderness by Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl, who is now willing to cash in on the 30-year-old for a rumoured £8million.
Austin is currently training with Southampton’s Under 23s, and is believed to have seen his services offered to Newcastle.